Thursday, August 17, 2017
Building People of Substance for Works of Power
Love your brother, Amigos .
This past week we saw an outburst of racial hatred at a demonstration in Virginia. Though these things have been going on for some time, this one seemed especially disturbing. I felt obligated to address the issue with our church on Sunday. We have young people who were not alive during the civil rights, movement, who never saw the days of “separate but equal,” and to whom the “I have a dream” speech is relegated to the dryness of a classroom. Here are a few things we need to know:
1. Ethnic division will get worse. It is a sign of the end times. Jesus said “Nation (ethnos) will rise against nation (ethnos).” We will see an increasing division of society into racial and cultural enclaves. Those who draw their identity from these natural sources will be seduced into their respective warring camps.
2. God sees all men as descending from one source: “And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth,” Acts 17:26.
3. God sees only three divisions of mankind, based on their relationship to Him. The Jew the Gentile, and the Church. 1 Corinthians 10:32
4. In the Church, God has created a new nation, a new “ethnic group’, a new culture, for Himself. We are a holy nation, a special people. 1 Peter 2:9-10
5. As Christians, love compels us to see no one according to their outward state or appearance: 2 Corinthians 5:14-17.
6. Within the Body of Christ and before God, there are no distinctions: Galatians 3:28
Our nation needs help. We can pray. We can preach truth. We can love one another. The world around us is going to get worse. I sincerely believe that we are going to get better. For Christians, we have but one injunction: to love one another as Christ loved us. Anything else is sin.
Somebody Said: We may have all come on different ships, but we’re in the same boat now. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Scripture Reading: And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are also His offspring.’ (Acts 17:26-28 NKJV)
My plea for preachers and parents: Teach and reassure your kids. They are being inundated with information for which they have little context. As the Return of the Lord approaches, wars and rumors of war will increase. That is frightening. Racial strife will increase. That is frightening. Natural calamity will increase. That is frightening. Take time to teach your kids what this all means. Teach them to do the right thing. By all means, teach them that God has us covered. For God chose to save us through our Lord Jesus Christ, not to pour out His anger on us. (1 Thessalonians 5:9 NLT)
Pastor Virgil L. Stokes
Faith Christian Fellowship of Tucson
3141 W. Ironwood Hill Dr.
Tucson, AZ 85745
Visit us on YouTube to taste the goodness @FCFTucson.