Friday, December 31, 2010
Building People of Substance for Works of Power
Another year in the books, me and tobie.
Every year I take a few days to wait on God before the New Year. I need to be personally refreshed, and also see what the Lord wants to adjust in me or the ministry. This year I came back with a few things that might interest you. So, here’s my list for 2011:
1. I have to thank God for preserving us in 2010. It was an interesting year, but Goshen has been just a fine place to live. If you have come through it, you can be grateful.
2. The next year will see events rolling toward the Lord’s return at an ever-increasing pace. Israel is the barometer. The economic disaster that looms ahead will be put off briefly. There may even be a little rally. We should use this window to shore up our reserves and reach the unreached.
3. It is time to simplify and clarify our mission, and be sure to stick to the job God handed us. As a church, we will revisit our process: Repair – Prepare – Celebrate. We are commissioned to repair broken people, prepare willing people, and celebrate the goodness of God. We like to juggle the letters so the acronym is C.P.R.
4. I want to make sure I give every person God sends our way the opportunity to know the absolutely essential things. The question I asked myself was, “What stuff do I want you to know if this is our last conversation?” and “How do we get that information to everyone God gives us opportunity to touch?” Here’s my list of “The Stuff I Want You to Know Before You Go”: Jesus came to rescue you, and you needed it. / You must be born again. / Water baptism is not optional. / You need the Word in order to grow. / You need Holy Ghost power. / It’s not just juice and crackers, examine yourself and remember Him. / You and I need each other. / The world is waiting for us.
5. The disciple-making process requires information, motivation, and connection. We want to help people move past being informed to being connected. That caused me to think on the questions, “What is the difference in motivation and manipulation?” and “How can we move from education to facilitation?”
6. For me personally, I need to get more disciplined in writing. I plan to make these little blurbs come more regularly, and I have three book projects under construction.
Scripture Reading: "The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon Me, Because the LORD has anointed Me To preach good tidings to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives, And the opening of the prison to those who are bound; To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, And the day of vengeance of our God; To comfort all who mourn, To console those who mourn in Zion, To give them beauty for ashes, The oil of joy for mourning, The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; That they may be called trees of righteousness, The planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified." And they shall rebuild the old ruins, They shall raise up the former desolations, And they shall repair the ruined cities, The desolations of many generations. (Isaiah 61:1-4 NKJV)
Somebody Said: There are two ways of exerting one’s strength: one is pushing down, the other is pulling up. — Booker T. Washington
Whatever God has placed in front of you to do, do it with all your might. We are committed to helping prepare you to get it done. It’s gonna be a wonderful year for all who are privileged to take part in this last push for home. We’re gonna get out the leaven, get ready for heaven, we’re gonna have a party in 2011. Happy New Year!!!
Check out our FMTI Bible classes online: simple, powerful, proven.