Wednesday, January 4, 2012
Building People of Substance for Works of Power
Happy New Year!!!
A few weeks ago I was praying about the New Year. The Lord dropped this phrase in my heart: “Overcome the victim mentality.” I knew that would be my preaching theme for 2012. Just before New Years Day, He spoke this to me: “2012: the Year of Victory.” This year will be a year of moving out of victimhood and into the victory that is ours in Christ. With your permission, I will share a few thoughts on how that happens:
1. 1 John 5:4 says that our faith is the victory overcomes the world. 2012 is a great time to remind ourselves to use our faith, particularly in the area of our mouth. 2012 will be as good as you dare to say it will be.
2. Jesus said, “In this world you will have tribulation, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” (Jn 16:33) Trouble cometh. It is inevitable. Our job is to remember the “but” in this verse and CHEER UP!!
3. Psalm 91:15 tells us He is with us in trouble. But it also ways He is there to hear us, deliver us, and honor us. Heb 13:6 says that if we know He is with us we can boldly say, “the Lord is on my side, I will not fear!” So say it!!!!
4. I particularly like the Message Bible of Ps 91:15, “Call me and I’ll answer, be at your side in bad times; I’ll rescue you, then throw you a party.” Trouble is a sure sign the party is about to start! Let’s get this party started!!!!!
5. Psalm 32:7 says He preserves me from trouble and surrounds me with songs of deliverance. 2012 is a year to sing more, it builds the walls of deliverance higher around you.
6. Psalms 47:1 encourages us to “Shout to God with the voice of triumph!” 2012 is a year to shout about triumph.
7. 1 Cor 15:51-57 reminds us that Jesus is coming back, and that we can be thankful to God who gives us the victory in Jesus Christ. I am thanking God for the victory while I wait for the last trump.
8. Verse 58 tells me that you must never give up, because what you are doing for the Lord is never in vain. You are making an eternal difference, so hang in there!
Scripture Reading: Romans 8:31-39 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? (32) He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? (33) Who shall bring a charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. (34) Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us. (35) Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? (36) As it is written: "FOR YOUR SAKE WE ARE KILLED ALL DAY LONG; WE ARE ACCOUNTED AS SHEEP FOR THE SLAUGHTER." (37) Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. (38) For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, (39) nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Somebody Said: Paul asked a good question in Romans 8:31: What Then shall we say? Here’s our answer for 2012: “I have the victory over the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life. My God-given gifts and callings are growing into full fruition, for they are born of God. I am of good cheer, because Jesus has overcome the world. He is with me to deliver me, he hears me when I call. Trouble avoids me, and the party is starting. I have a song in my heart and a shout in my mouth
I cannot be defeated and I will not quit. My labor for the Lord is not in vain. Payday cometh, now in this life, and very soon in the next. I am eagerly listening for the trumpet, and I’m always giving thanks to God who gives me the victory!
God is for me, who can be against me? He freely gives me all things. I am not condemned; just ask Jesus, the One who speaks up for me! He’s got my back. I am more than a conqueror – no created thing can separate me from the love of God. This is the Year of Victory!!!”