Tuesday, July 7, 2015
Building People of Substance for Works of Power
Expecting God to move, Friend!
While attending our national convention a few weeks ago, I was shocked to hear that the United States Supreme Court had ordered homosexual marriages to be recognized in every state. After the initial outrage wore off, I realized that as a Pastor, I would have to deal with a number of issues. At the risk of boring you, or even irritating you, I thought I would share a couple of things that we hold to as a church, and some action plans that we are implementing.
1. The Church has compromised itself on sexual issues for decades. Our hypocrisy on divorce, pre-marital sex, and sexual sin in the pulpit have made our voice hollow.
2. Hating people for their sin is a sin.
3. Sex and love are not the same thing.
4. Homosexual behavior is a sin, just like all other sexual sin.
5. Biblical marriage is male and female, joined together by God. Gen 2:25 / Matt 19:4-6
6. The government is a decidedly secular organization, and they can do whatever they want to do. It does not change what God sees as marriage.
7. I cannot, as a representative of Jesus Christ, pronounce God’s blessing on something He has not blessed.
Our Plan of Action:
1. Action Step #1: Be lovers, not haters. Our church must be a place where folks can come to get loved and helped. (We love ex-cons and dope addicts, frauds and failures of all kinds. Why not expand the tent one more notch?) Love people, facilitate their freedom, preach the Word. Gal 6:1 / 1 Cor 6:11 /Jn 6:37 / Rom 15:7
2. Action Step #2: Take measures to immunize our kids. You cannot hide them from the reality. It is all around us. Provide information and support for parents as they explain difficult ideas to young minds, and godly morals to growing hearts. They need information and a model of love. It also means (“The Talk” has to come early, and should really be an ongoing dialogue, sharing values as well as biology lessons. Pr 22:6 Dt 6:7)
3. Action Step #3: Prepare for persecution and expect glory. We will be assaulted by other Christians, homosexual activists, and our own government. We will be tagged as haters and insane. We must be committed to truth in love. When the madness comes we must demonstrate grace and strength. No compromise, no anger. When we do so, God will move on our behalf. Glory comes!!! 1 Peter 4:12-14
Scripture Reading: “Honor marriage, and guard the sacredness of sexual intimacy between wife and husband. A man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one. This is an illustration of the way Christ and the church are one. God draws a firm line against casual and illicit sex. To ignore this and give others a bad example is wrong.” Ephesians 5:31-32 NLT / Hebrews 13:4 MSG
Somebody Said: In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. Thomas Jefferson
Because biblically, we do not believe that homosexuals can be married to each other, we do not do weddings of homosexuals. We do open our doors to those who are interested in a discussion of our beliefs, and we are willing to sit and speak with them. Our worship services are open to all people. For our business owners, we encourage them to see the homosexual community as a mission field. If they invite you to their turf, be bold in sharing your faith (You have a 1st amendment right to do so), and loving in your service. Jesus died for them, too.
We have an opportunity to reach people if we keep our hearts right and our backbones stiff. Let’s do it!
Pastor Virgil Stokes
FCF of Tucson
3141 W. Ironwood Hill Dr.
Tucson, AZ 85745