But you forgive us, so that we should stand in awe of you. I wait eagerly for the LORD’s help, and in his word I trust. I wait for the Lord more eagerly than sentries wait for the dawn— than sentries wait for the dawn.Psalms 130:4-6 GNB
Here we are at Sunday again. For most of us, it has been a week without gathering with our church family. Today, most of us will again rely on technology to bring a service into our homes. It seems important to me to remember that this is not a television program to be watched, critiqued, maybe enjoyed, then forgotten. This is not entertainment. This is part of something God is doing. He will not waste this opportunity. Your church leaders are busily exploring new ways of fulfilling their calling to equip you and set you in place for service. It’s exhilarating to watch and listen to their creative process. Please help them today by being engaged.
- God is teaching us how to have relationships without physical presence. Our gadgets are our connection. This is new territory for lots of us. Try it. You don’t have to like it. but the earth is no longer flat!
- God is allowing us to find new ways to penetrate into the places people live who don’t go to church. They are locked in with nothing to do but hang out online. Let’s be there!
- In addition to being there now, let’s prepare ourselves to be ready when the lockdown lifts and the virus is gone. Oh, God, don’t let us return to normal. Normal isn’t good enough.
- For the large parts of the world where digital still means counting on your fingers, we are expanding our means of teaching and training people. Maybe I can train people who are geographically proximate and culturally knowledgeable, then allow them the privilege of reaching their countrymen. Stretch our brains, Oh, Lord!
- God is giving us new ways of adapting the church into a more flexible organism, able to respond to the needs of the community in brand new ways. In an instant info age, we need to be an instant reaction church. This event will change the way we respond to human need.
Take this opportunity to connect with your tribe. It’s important. Be alert to what others are doing and to ideas for how we can all do it better. We’re not just waiting for our pain to end. We are learning. Opportunities abound. Ready or not, here they come.