I am writing these things to you now, even though I hope to be with you soon, so that if I am delayed, you will know how people must conduct themselves in the household of God. This is the church of the living God, which is the pillar and foundation of the truth.1 Timothy 3:14-15 NLT
I love this passage. Paul was writing to the leader of a local church, Pastor Timothy. He is telling him some things about the importance of the local assembly of believers. In our very secular day, we are frequently told that the gathering of the saints is optional, but Paul didn’t know that.
- Gathering with the saints is important enough that Paul desired to be there. Prioritize presence.
- There are parameters of behavior when the saints gather together.
- The gathering of the church is called “the household of God.”
- We have a living God who calls us out and calls us together . (Church = ecclesia – called out ones)
- The local church is the stable platform from which truth is proclaimed. No church, no truth. Get it?
So, join me today as we solemnly and joyously gather with the household of God to hear from our Father how to live the called-out life, to be refreshed in the Presence of the living God, and to be empowered as purveyors of truth in a fallen world. It’s a big deal!