There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit is the source of them all. There are different kinds of service, but we serve the same Lord. God works in different ways, but it is the same God who does the work in all of us. A spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other. (1 Corinthians 12:4-7 NLT)
This month I have had the privilege of teaching on the Manifestation of the Spirit to churches in Peru via the wonder of Zoom. As usual, I think I got more out of it than the hearers. Some things I already knew were stirred up afresh. Others I saw in a fresh light, and still others were brand new nuggets that blessed me immensely. I love when I read a familiar passage and suddenly stop to say, “Huh!?” A few things for your consideration from the passage above:
- All spiritual gifts are not supposed to look and sound alike. The Holy Spirit is not as religious as you are.
- The Spirit gives gifts for the purpose of enabling us to help each other; edification not entertainment.
- The Lord is in charge of appointing jobs in the Body. Do yours. Appreciate others.
- God is extremely creative and diverse. Be alert, not judgmental.
- You can’t do this by yourself, nor are you supposed to. You need help.
Here’s the point. God ordained that we gather as the Body of Christ for several reasons. Among those reasons is the diverse manifestation of His Spirit. Every gift is given for the benefit of others. Expect it. Yield to it. Be grateful for it.