Then the LORD appeared to Solomon by night, and said to him: “I have heard your prayer, and have chosen this place for Myself as a house of sacrifice. When I shut up heaven and there is no rain, or command the locusts to devour the land, or send pestilence among My people, if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. Now My eyes will be open and My ears attentive to prayer made in this place. For now I have chosen and sanctified this house, that My name may be there forever; and My eyes and My heart will be there perpetually.2 Chronicles 7:12-16 NKJV
I know this is a very familiar verse for most of us, and I know that most of us have been praying for our land, but a couple of things hit me as I read it again this week. Maybe it’s just because this week I have been particularly aware of the state of the world around us. It seems that we went to bed in one country and woke up in another where everything is upside down. Just a couple of things:
- God chooses places to meet with His people. He puts His Name on them.
- In times when the land is being devoured, it behooves His people to get to those places.
- We are His people. (1 Peter 2:10)
- He calls us by His Name, we represent Him in the earth, and we represent the earth before Him.
- It’s time to pray: humble, earnest, contrite.
- He’s watching and listening.
Time to go to church! You can’t do this thing by yourself.