Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.Ephesians 2:19-22 NKJV
There is an almost magical quality when the people of God gather. It’s supernatural on so many levels! This description of the Church and its constituent parts (you and I) has always given me goosebumps. Think of it:
- We are citizens of Heaven. We are in the same category as the folks we read about in the Bible. We all share the privilege of having gone from sinner to saint in an instant.
- We are members of the family of God. Every Sunday is a family reunion. We all went from being of our father the devil to being children of God. We are all born into the same family.
- Though we come from many backgrounds and social stations, we are all built on the same foundation. We are part of God’s project begun in Eden, continued through the ages, fully revealed in the Christ event, and brought to fruition at His return. We’re part of the same plan. We went from aimless to purpose-driven.
- We gather to grow individually, each for a specific job in the larger purpose: to house the glory.
- We gather to grow in our connection to one another, to find our fit in the bigger picture. We are a unit, part of a holy temple for His Presence.
I love church. It’s who we are. It’s a foreshadowing of what we shall be. It’s where we connect to the plan of the Ages. It’s where our finite condition touches the transcendent. Don’t miss a minute. Let’s do this!